The organization shall be known as the "Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors" (MAPLA).
The organization will provide a context for the sharing of knowledge and experience among Advisors to promote informed advising of students considering a legal career. The Association will sponsor an annual conference of Advisors and law school admission officers. It will promote the training of new Pre-Law Advisors through workshops as well as the annual conference. It will provide a vehicle for increased communication between individual law school admissions officers, the Law School Admissions Council, Pre-Law Advisors and students.
2. Associate Memberships shall be extended to appropriate individuals from law schools, other educational institutions, and attorneys. Each Associate Member will have one vote.
Meetings and Quorums
1. Meetings shall be held annually. Additional meetings may be called by the Board of Directors.
2. A majority of the voting members attending the meeting shall constitute a quorum
3. A quorum is necessary to take formal actions. Decisions will be made by majority vote of those present and voting.
4. The time, place and agenda for the meetings shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
5. Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern all parliamentary procedures.
1. The Officers shall be President, President-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer.
2. A new President-Elect shall be elected in even-numbered calendar years at the Annual Meeting. The current President-Elect will automatically become the new President upon election of a new President-Elect.
3. Nominations for Officers and Board Members shall be made by a nominating committee composed of the President, President-Elect, and Immediate Past President if able to serve. Consent must be obtained from the nominees. Nominations will be sent to members thirty days before the Annual Meeting. Additional nominations, with the consent of the nominee, may be made from the floor at the Annual Meeting.
4. Terms of office for the President and President-Elect shall be for four years total with two years in each position; terms for members of the Board, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be for two years. Terms of office shall commence upon election at the Annual Meeting and shall continue until his or her term concludes at the Annual Meeting two years later or in the case of a vacancy a replacement is appointed by the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
1. The Constitution may be amended only at the Annual Meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting.
2. Proposed amendments must be sent to each member thirty days before the Annual Meeting to make them eligible for consideration.
Amended September 13, 2014