MAPLA has several active programs that connect pre-law advisors, law school admission representatives, and LSAC staff including:
- An annual conference that provides on-going education and professional development for new and seasoned pre-law advisors.
- A caravan of law school admission representatives that brings law school admissions to campuses throughout the region.
- The MAPLA Briefs newsletter published several times each year to inform the membership on issues affecting pre-law advising and law school admissions. Each edition offers a feature article on a topic relevant to advisors, reflection pieces by current law students, question and answer articles with law school admission representatives, news from the law school front, and updates on the business of the Association.
- A professional listserv for members enabling discussion and information sharing throughout the year.
How to Join
Membership in the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors (MAPLA) is open to pre-law advisors from 2- and 4- year institutions as well as law school representatives from any ABA-approved law school. Although the MAPLA region includes Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, pre-law advisors and law school representatives from any state are welcome to join MAPLA.
The MAPLA membership year begins September 1 and runs through August 31 of the following year.
For the 2021-2022 membership year, the MAPLA membership fees are:
- Pre-Law Advisors $40
- Law School Representative (single) $60
- Law School Institutional Membership (2 members) $100
- Law School Institutional Membership (3-5 members) $150
NOTE: If you were a member of MAPLA as of May 1, 2020 your membership was automatically extended until August 31, 2021 at no cost to you, but as of August 31, 2021 your membership will expire.
Those interested in joining MAPLA can apply for membership in one of two ways:
- If not attending the annual MAPLA conference or the PLANC quadrennial conference, complete the Membership Form and pay your membership fee.
- Registration for the annual MAPLA conference INCLUDES the membership fee for that particular year. In years the Pre-Law Advisors National Conference is held instead, PLANC registration includes annual MAPLA dues for that year.
For more information about joining MAPLA, please contact membership chair Laura Hume