MAPLA has several active programs that connect pre-law advisors, law school admission representatives, and LSAC staff including:
- An annual conference that provides on-going education and professional development for new and seasoned pre-law advisors.
- A caravan of law school admission representatives that brings law school admissions to campuses throughout the region.
- The MAPLA Briefs newsletter published several times each year to inform the membership on issues affecting pre-law advising and law school admissions. Each edition offers a feature article on a topic relevant to advisors, reflection pieces by current law students, question and answer articles with law school admission representatives, news from the law school front, and updates on the business of the Association.
- A professional listserv for members enabling discussion and information sharing throughout the year.
How to Join
Membership in the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors (MAPLA) is open to pre-law advisors from 2- and 4- year institutions. MAPLA is open to pre-law advisors in the Midwest region, which includes Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin but pre-law advisors from any region are also welcome to join MAPLA. In addition, law school representatives from any ABA-approved law school are eligible for membership. Membership in MAPLA begins September 1 and runs through August 31 of the following year. Membership fees:
- Pre-Law Advisors $40
- Law School Representative (single) $60
- Law School Institutional Membership (2 members) $100
- Law School Institutional Membership (3-5 members) $150
Those interested in joining MAPLA can apply for membership in one of two ways:
- If not attending the annual conference, complete the Membership Form.
- Registration for the MAPLA annual conference INCLUDES the membership fee for that particular year. In years the Pre-Law Advisors National Conference is held instead, PLANC registration includes annual MAPLA dues for that year. Registration will open soon for the 2018 MAPLA Conference in Indianapolis.
For more information about joining MAPLA, please contact membership chair Jamie Thomas-Ward