MAPLA strives to be the most comprehensive, inclusive, and supportive resource for pre-law advisors in the Midwest.
MAPLA has several active programs that connect pre-law advisors, law school admission representatives, and LSAC staff including:
- An annual conference that provides on-going education and professional development for new and seasoned pre-law advisors.
- A caravan of law school admission representatives that brings law school admissions to campuses throughout the region.
- Monthly newsletter with updates, events, and announcements
- A professional listserv for members enabling discussion and information sharing throughout the year.
How to Join
Membership in the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors (MAPLA) is open to pre-law advisors from 2- and 4- year institutions as well as law school representatives from any ABA-approved law school. Although the MAPLA region includes Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, pre-law advisors and law school representatives from any state are welcome to join MAPLA.
The MAPLA membership year begins September 1 and runs through August 31 of the following year.
For the 2022-2023 membership year, the MAPLA membership fees are:
- Pre-Law Advisors $40
- Law School Representative (single) $60
- Law School Institutional Membership (2 members) $100
- Law School Institutional Membership (3-5 members) $150
Those interested in joining MAPLA can apply for membership in one of two ways:
- If not attending the annual MAPLA conference or the PLANC quadrennial conference, complete the Membership Form and pay your membership fee.
- Registration for the annual MAPLA conference INCLUDES the membership fee for that particular year. In years the Pre-Law Advisors National Conference is held instead, PLANC registration includes annual MAPLA dues for that year.
For more information about joining MAPLA, please contact [email protected].
Racheter DEI Membership Scholarship
The Racheter DEI Membership Scholarship is designed to foster increased access and participation in MAPLA by providing support to pre-law advisors from diverse or underrepresented groups; and/or advisors providing pre-law advising services at institutions that serve students from diverse and underrepresented populations within the legal profession.
Scholarship recipients receive complimentary membership to MAPLA for one full membership year (September 1 through August 31 of the following year). Applicants may re-apply annually for renewal, not to exceed two years (three years total).
Individuals may be nominated or self-nominated for a scholarship by submitting the online Nomination Form. Scholarships are issued on rolling basis by the DEI Awards Committee. To learn more, please click here.