MAPLA strives to be the most comprehensive, inclusive, and supportive resource for pre-law advisors in the Midwest.
MAPLA has several active programs that connect pre-law advisors, law school admission representatives, and LSAC staff including:
- An annual conference that provides on-going education and professional development for new and seasoned pre-law advisors.
- A caravan of law school admission representatives that brings law school admissions to campuses throughout the region.
- Monthly newsletter with updates, events, and announcements
- A professional listserv for members enabling discussion and information sharing throughout the year.
How to Join
Membership in the Midwest Association of Pre-Law Advisors (MAPLA) is open to pre-law advisors from 2- and 4- year institutions as well as law school representatives from any ABA-approved law school. Although the MAPLA region includes Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, pre-law advisors and law school representatives from any state are welcome to join MAPLA.
The MAPLA membership year begins September 1 and runs through August 31 of the following year.
For the 2021-2022 membership year, the MAPLA membership fees are:
- Pre-Law Advisors $40
- Law School Representative (single) $60
- Law School Institutional Membership (2 members) $100
- Law School Institutional Membership (3-5 members) $150
Those interested in joining MAPLA can apply for membership in one of two ways:
- If not attending the annual MAPLA conference or the PLANC quadrennial conference, complete the Membership Form and pay your membership fee.
- Registration for the annual MAPLA conference INCLUDES the membership fee for that particular year. In years the Pre-Law Advisors National Conference is held instead, PLANC registration includes annual MAPLA dues for that year.
For more information about joining MAPLA, please contact membership chair Kelly Anthony.
Racheter DEI Membership Scholarship
The Racheter DEI Membership Scholarship is designed to foster increased access and participation in MAPLA by providing support to pre-law advisors from diverse or underrepresented groups; and/or advisors providing pre-law advising services at institutions that serve students from diverse and underrepresented populations within the legal profession.
Scholarship recipients receive complimentary membership to MAPLA for one full membership year (September 1 through August 31 of the following year). Applicants may re-apply annually for renewal, not to exceed two years (three years total).
Individuals may be nominated or self-nominated for a scholarship by submitting the online Nomination Form. Scholarships are issued on rolling basis by the DEI Awards Committee. To learn more, please click here.